44 High Street, Nantwich, Cheshire, better known as ‘Queen’s Aid House’. Built in 1583 by one Thomas Cleese after a fire destroyed much of the town, it’s name reflects the help given by Queen Elizabeth 1 in raising funds to rebuild the town. Currently used as a cafe, it’s also been a shop and a private dwelling during its 400+ year history.
This Grade 2 listed building in Nantwich by Ernest H. Edleston, built in 1911, is in the French Baroque style of the late 17th century. It is one of over 100 listed buildings in the town, some dating back to just after 1583 when a fire destroyed most of the town. Bullseye or ‘oeil de boeuf’ windows are typical of the style.