This strange looking affair in Market Drayton is a WW2 ‘pill box’, a name given to reinforced concrete defence structures. It was built in 1940, and stands at the junction of Newcastle Road, and what is now known as the Shropshire Union Canal. It could be manned by a compliment of 8 infantry armed with rifles and machine guns. It’s the only one of its type remaining, and as such is a ‘listed’ or protected building.
These few rusted sheets of corrugated iron are all that remains of the former army camp at Prees, near Whitchurch. Originally a WW1 training camp, an airfield was also built nearby at the beginning of WW2, and it later became a Prisoner of War camp. After the war it served as housing for Polish refugees and army families before being closed and abandoned in the 1950s.